Skip to main content

Ketamine Therapy

 There are many forms of trauma-based therapy, but throughout the years, I have learned the type of neurobiological transformation that I want comes in form of ketamine therapy. I take ketamine troches (lozenges) at home because I have a lot of medical trauma. They are legally prescribed to me.


The topic of ketamine therapy can be murky for the Autistic, as we respond to anesthesia differently than neurotypicals in many cases. Some ketamine doctors are also not sure what to do when presented with Autistic individuals. In many instances, if you're Autistic, you are also more likely to have gastroparesis, which might be my case. Gastroparesis can change the way that you metabolize certain substances, and in my case, it tends to elongate the experience of ketamine for me, considering I am taking it sublingually and orally. It goes through secondary and (in my opinion) tertiary pass metabolism. This leaves me with a day to re-connect my thoughts and helps encourage neuroplasticity.

I decided to start ketamine therapy because I was traumatized, and the primary forms of treatment led me to even darker outcomes. I had attempted suicide after the beginning of EMDR, and hypnotherapy further dismantled me and I was misdiagnosed with DID (dissociative identity disorder) when it's more likely C-PTSD. My doctor recognized the trauma, so I have slowly been going through ketamine therapy in an attempt to rediscover myself.

To be quite blunt about it, dissociation is not always bad and can oftentimes provide a way of viewing your trauma, depression, anxiety, and/or pain from a different perspective. Dissociative anesthetics have provided us with a way to, not only alter the brain, but to also heal the brain and encourage neuroplasticity. Of course, I would leave this decision up to the individual, but I have found that ketamine truly is healing my trauma, from an Autistic lens, and ketamine may react differently in an Autistic brain than a neurotypical one. Considering Autistics have a different reaction to anesthesia, it only makes sense that this would also apply to ketamine.

So, if you are a doctor considering ketamine therapy for an Autistic person who has trauma or depression or pain, then you need to take into consideration that we react to anesthetics differently than the neurotypical and allistic populations. In my case, I am at the maximum dose now because I could not break the habits of traumatized conditioning that were laid out for me early in life, later resulting in a heightened fight/flight/freeze/fawn response as documented by Pete Walker.

I am now learning more about who I am everyday, and as I go through my treatments, I become more and more authentic...Which may seem "weird" by your standards, however, I am finding inner peace in the process and this is the way I have chosen to heal from trauma (along with setting up an appointment to see a trauma-informed integrative therapist). To say the least, my brain is regenerating and rewiring itself in the process.

Psychedelic therapy has quite a history, but I would like to see it behind the lens of Neurodiversity Studies as well and how psychedelics affect neurotypicals differently than Autistic or other Neurodivergent people. The only study that I can think to cite in the Neurodiversity Paradigm is Nick Walker and colleagues' study of how MDMA can drastically reduce symptoms of social anxiety in Autistic adults. It is not an attempt to "fix" Autism, but rather the social anxiety that many experience.

To tie my points together, I think there is a Revolution in medicine just around the corner if we take a deeper look into psychedelic therapy. They have been used spiritually to heal for centuries, so maybe Western medicine will catch up to the diversity of psychedelic substances and science will find uses for various compounds, as it is already doing with ketamine, MDMA, psilocybin, LSD, and DMT. There is a large plethora of psychedelic compounds, however, that can be used to open the doors of consciousness that still need to be explored though. What I am seeing is a blossoming psychedelic revolution, but we really need to take Neurodiversity Studies into account as we approach this world that is all-at-once medical, social, and political/relational. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genderfluidity

 Over the years, my gender identity has shifted many times. I knew initially that I was genderfluid, but tried very hard to be a binary trans woman, along with various other non-binary identities until I came to the conclusion of being a genderfluid hypertwink and otherkin (a partially nonhuman entity).  I consider myself a girl, a boy, technogender, and aliencatgender. The latter two can fall under Xenogenders or agender. The reason I call myself a girl and a boy is because I'm uncomfortable with woman or man due to developmental delays caused by trauma that have put me in a near permanent state of regression. I am also a hypertwink and try to take twink aesthetic to its fullest reaches in my presentation, and I am on hormone replacement therapy primarily to preserve my youth, my hair, and make me more twink-like and androgynous. The only gender affirming procedures I find necessary for myself is further laser hair removal. I would also like to describe how my genderfluidity manif

Introduction

 My name is Lily Maureen O'Nan, and I am currently going to university for my associate of science degree in social science, and then will be moving onto a bachelor's degree in psychology and sociology with a minor in gender studies. I am non-binary transfeminine and autistic and ADHD, and will be using this platform to publish essays as I go through academia until I have a better grasp on coding.  I will be discussing a wide array of topics from disability studies to traditional psychology to psychedelic therapy to Marxism and more. I will also be discussing gender and "neuroqueer" experience, and possibly publishing poetry and art-themed pieces as well. Be on the lookout for updates. 

Mirror-touch Synesthesia & the "Empath"

 I personally do not like or adhere to the term "empath," but I believe I have figured out the explanation for this phenomenon, which I do experience. It's specifically called mirror-touch synesthesia, and is also related to mirror-pain synesthesia and mirror-emotion synesthesia, which I spoke of at an earlier time. Studies show that mirror-touch synesthetes experience heightened levels of empathy because, in addition to feeling at least an echo of another person's pain, many of us also feel their emotions as if they were our own. This sounds an awful lot like the horrific pop psychology term, "empath," but most people attribute it to a supernatural phenomenon if they're not lying about it, rather than a Neurodivergence. It's a lesser known type of synesthesia, but I experience mirror-touch, as well as more "traditional" types of synesthesia where many of my senses blend together. I was actually misdiagnosed with schizoaffective because I d